Church of Sv. Jurja, Mateško Selo
Croatian Restoration Institute
Church of Sv. Jurja in Mateško Selo is probably the oldest church in the Ogulin region. It originates from the 12th century and is the only preserved sacral building that survived Turkish destruction during the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries. It functioned as a parish church from 1802 to 1892, when the new church of Sv. Mihovil in Mrežnicki Brest, and now it is a branch chapel. This simple one-nave church with a rectangular apse and a portico from the 18th and 19th centuries above the entrance part has the lids of Roman sarcophagi manufactured in nearby quarries built into its foundations, and the corners of the building were built with their chests.
In May 2006, the multi-year reconstruction and renovation of the chapel of Sv. Jurja. The project included structural rehabilitation of the walls and foundation of the chapel, reconstruction and replacement of the wooden roof structure and pepper-tile covering, reconstruction of the chapel, the walls of the cistern, construction of the crypt and restoration of the facade and stone floors, and landscaping.