Church of St. Mary in Božje Polje, Vižinada
Bishop's Ordinariate, Poreč
The place where the church of St. Marije is the ancient seat of the Knights Templar, which the people called "Gods" and it was named God's Field after them. Later, knightly orders from Rhodes and Malta (from the 12th to the 16th century) and Franciscans of the third order of Glagolitic monks worked there from 1536 to 1806. Today it is the local cemetery of Vižinada. The church was rebuilt in the 15th century in the late Gothic period. It is a single-nave church with a polygonal sanctuary and corner buttresses and tall Gothic windows. The interior of the church is richly painted with frescoes from the 15th century, and the author is an unknown master from the circle of the so-called "colourful master". The bell tower of the church is shaped like a horseshoe, while the facade is decorated with stone reliefs and the famous stone head, installed during the renovation in 1441, which, according to tradition, depicts the Hun military leader Attila.
In the very demanding renovation of the church of St. Mary is rich in wall decorations, renovation and restoration of the vaults of the sanctuary were carried out, and new external joinery made of first-class larch wood was installed according to the original model.