Church of St. Lovre, Požega
Bishop's Ordinariate, Požega
Church of St. Lovre is one of the oldest Gothic buildings in Slavonia, built at the end of the 13th century on the remains of buildings from the Roman era. At the beginning of the 14th century, the vault and walls were painted with frescoes. At the beginning of the 16th century, it was connected by Renaissance arcades to the church built along the northern wall in the 15th century. During the Ottoman rule, it served as a mosque and a warehouse. After the liberation of Požega in 1698, it was thoroughly restored by the Jesuits. The church was also thoroughly renovated from 1858 to 1871. In 1898, it was renovated in the neo-Gothic style.
Work was carried out to ensure the static stability of the building by injecting the foundation, walls and vaults and installing micropyles and rod anchors. The exterior and interior decoration of the building required, due to its high monumental value, the execution of a series of delicate construction and craftsmanship procedures, which repaired and decorated the walls and vaults, restored stone floors, massive wooden construction of the staircase and choir, performed protection and a new construction of the crypt.