The Archaeological Museum of Istria, Pula
Arheološki muzej Istre
In 1890, the building of the State German High School was built, where the Archaeological Museum of Istria is located today. The building is made as a brick masonry structure with a regular comb-shaped floor plan (letter E), with basement, ground floor, first and second floors, and the attic. The walls are made of massive stone blocks.
With the planned reconstruction, the existing building is extended on the western side in two free spaces, which were created between the northern, southern and central wings. The floor plan dimensions of each of the added parts are rectangular and structurally dilated from the existing building. The extension has the same number of floors as the existing building, but in the attic part of the extension, the extension is closed with a flat walkable roof, which is accessed from the attic floor of the existing building.
During the adaptation of the building's environment, along with constant archaeological monitoring, many ancient walls, mosaics, amphorae and two bells from the 14th and 15th centuries were found, which had been buried all these years.