Rectorate of the University of Zagreb and Faculty of Law, Zagreb
Faculty of Law, University of Zagreb
Historically significant buildings
Ludwig von Zettl is the author of the project for the building intended for the National Hospital, which was built on the area of the former fairground in the period from 1856 to 1859. In the second half of the 19th century, it housed a tobacco factory, and in 1882 it became the seat of Zagreb University. It is one of the few representatives of the round-arch style, characteristic of early historicism, and is characterized by a mixture of Byzantine, Romanesque and Renaissance forms visible on the facade in the form of blind arcades, characteristic window frames, etc. The facade consists of three distinctly prominent and higher parts interconnected by lower wings with continuous series of window frames.
At the Rectorate building of the University of Zagreb, the dilapidated wooden roof structure was rehabilitated with a new cover made of clay pepper-tiles, and the sheet metal was rehabilitated. After remediation of moisture with special materials, the facade of the central and eastern wings was restored.