Central Station, Zagreb
Historically significant buildings
The author of the project for the Zagreb Central Station building is a Hungarian architect Ferenc Pfaff, chief engineer of the State Hungarian Railways, who designs all the most important projects under their jurisdiction. In Croatia, he designed railway stations in Rijeka, Osijek, Karlovac and Zagreb. The building of the Zagreb Central Station was built in the period from 1890 to in 1892 and is located axially in relation to the axis of the chemical laboratory and the city park in the extension of the academic square. It is 186.5 m long, horizontally divided, with a relatively low pavilion-type facade opened by colonnades towards the Green Horseshoe. The facade is divided into three parts, of which the central one is the highest, and the two side wings are lower, with angular elevations. It is richly decorated with an inventory of neoclassical ornamentation and sculptural decorations consisting of allegorical compositions - the allegory of traffic is placed in the central gable, the allegory of cattle breeding and hunting are in niches at the height of the first floor, and on the attic of the rhizolite there are allegories of agriculture and industry. The sculpture was made by the company owned by Vilim Maršenko from Budapest in 1891/1892, and the works on the building were carried out by a company from Szeged, Iv. Milko.
The renovation and arrangement of the building of the Central Station in Zagreb included production of new facade plastering according to the existing one, making a new sheet metal shop, reconstruction of the roof and replacement of the pepper-tile cover, repair of damaged and replacement of exterior carpentry made of coniferous first-class wood and finishing the facade with a silicate coating.