Center of old crafts Tvrđa, Osijek
Conservation department in Osijek
Historically significant buildings
From the end of the 17th century to the thirties of the 18th century (from 1712 to mostly 1722), the Austrian military authorities built military fortifications modelled after lowland Dutch fortifications. Various construction interventions and adaptations lasted until the middle of the 18th century. Due to changes in political relations and war strategy, the Fortress lost its importance from the end of the 18th century, so some parts were demolished from 1923 to 1926. The first, the so-called Karl's Bastion, the northeastern fortress, is one of the two remaining.
The reconstruction and structural rehabilitation of the first bastion and ramparts of the Fortress was carried out by building the walls using traditional methods and materials - old format bricks. The inner spaces of the ramparts were adapted and arranged for the needs of the Restoration Workshop and the Center of Old Crafts according to the specific requirements of the users.