Old town of Samobor
City of Samobor
Castels, Palaces and Fortresses
The noble old town of Samobor was built by supporters of King Otokar II on Tepec hill in the period from 1260 to 1264 above the Samobor market place, in order to strengthen the old border at that place. The floor plan of the city is irregular and divided, and consists of three parts, of which the central part with the city core is the oldest. In the south-eastern part of the core there is also a tall defensive tower, the only substantial remnant of Otokar's oldest construction phase, and it distinguishes this town from the other two noble towns in the vicinity, Okić and Lipovac, of which it is larger. Next to this tower is a semi-circular tower with an interesting chapel of St. Anne from the third decade of the 16th century on the first floor of the three-story tower. Over time, the core expands to the north into an elongated trapezoidal courtyard surrounded by a strong defensive wall with a pentagonal battery tower at the ends. On the south side is the last built three-story house. More significant reconstructions took place in the third decade of the 16th century, and the largest in the 17th and 18th centuries, and then a palace courtyard was formed in the core with facades of open porches, and the interior was richly furnished. At the end of the 18th century, the owners left the city.
As part of the project of consolidation and presentation of the Old Town of Samobor, renovation works were carried out on the walls of the chapel. Considering the monumental features and difficult working conditions due to the complexity of vertical and horizontal transport, the project was very demanding. The construction of the stone wall, with a structure equal to its original state, required the engagement of high-quality masters of old trades - craftsmen. Cleaned stone from the collapse, white cement and slaked lime were used in the construction.