Main city guard building and Brožan house, Osijek
Archaeological Museum Osijek
Castels, Palaces and Fortresses
Today's building of the Main Guard was built in 1729 on the north-western part of the Holy Trinity Square in the centre of the Osijek Fortress. On the ground floor, the building is open with a portico with wide semi-circular arches. The Brožan House was named after one of the first owners, it is located on Jurja Križanić Square and is one of the oldest buildings there. It was built as a one-story residential building with one row of rooms open to the street, while there were probably no windows on the courtyard side. On the ground floor there was a kitchen, one larger room and a storage room, and there were three bedrooms on the first floor. The special feature of this house is its circular staircase, which is located in the courtyard. The house has a high baroque style roof covered with pepper tiles. During its history, it has undergone many reconstructions and additions, which were often not in accordance with the original appearance of the building.
For the needs of the Archaeological Museum, the construction interventions on both buildings were preceded by conservation-restoration works and research, geomechanical and structural research, as well as work on the protection of the buildings and strengthening of the structure. Since 2006, construction, tradesman, installation and conservation-restoration procedures have been carried out on the mentioned buildings for the purpose of reconstruction of existing and addition of new parts of buildings and reconstruction of the roof dome.