Eltz castle complex, Vukovar
Croatian Restoration Institute
Castels, Palaces and Fortresses
Eltz Castle is one of the most representative buildings of the Baroque period on Croatian soil; it was built from 1749 to 1751 by Count Anselmo Kazimir Eltz. The complex goes through a series of reconstructions, the most important of which is the one in the spirit of historicism from the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century, which gives the complex its final appearance, and was carried out by the Viennese architect Viktor Siedek.
In the war destruction of Vukovar from 1991 to 1995, the buildings of the Eltz manor were almost completely damaged, and the northern part of this complex was completely reconstructed and renovated (the Grand Palace, guest pavilion, technical building, road, seed station - Bauer Collection, water tower – viewpoint, gardener's house, gatekeeper's house). The buildings were statically rehabilitated and all unstable parts were removed. This was followed by the reconstruction of the roof with high-quality oak timber and pepper-tiles, new plasters and facades were made, and then work on interior and exterior decoration began. After the completion of the first phase of the reconstruction and arrangement of the Great Palace - the main building of the Eltz complex, from the fall of 2012 and during 2013, according to the project, work began on the permanent exhibition of the Vukovar City Museum in the Great Palace.
Work at the castle