Parish church of St. Nicholas, Barban

The church was built in the middle of the 15th century upon the remains of an old fort which was the core of a fortified medieval settlement. It was enlarged in a big one-aisled parish church of St. Nicholas at the beginning of the 18th century, consecrated in 1701 and finished in 1708. In the interior it has a straight ceiling, the walls are articulated only by windows and doors, the sanctuary is elevated on a pair of stairs and separated from the rest of the church space by the semicircular opening of the triumphal arch inscribed in a rectangular field. There are five marble baroque altars with altarpieces made by famous venetian artists from the 16th till 18th century in the church, a gothic stone custody from the 15th century and wooden baroque sculptures from the 18th century. The bell tower is 25 m high, it's situated by the front and added on a medieval tower. The works on the renovation of the church consisted of the static improvement of the stonework and the restoration of the roof frame with oak roof material in accordance with the original geometry and the replacement of the roof covering. The improvement of the front walls has been carried out by means of a special kind of repair mortar while the improvement of the ceilings has been carried out by means of lime plaster in accordance with the original defining and the instructions of the Heritage Authority.

Parish church of St. Nicholas


Kalinovica 3/IV
10 000 Zagreb, Croatia

Phone number

T. + 385 1 / 30 33 000
F. + 385 1 / 38 35 600