The location where the church of St. Mary is erected was once the ancient seat of Knights Templars (nominated by the people "božjaci", thus the name Božje polje). Afterwards, from 12-16th century the Knights of Rhodos and Malta and then from 1536-1806 the Franciscans were active here. Today this is the place where the village cemetery lies. During the late gothic period in the 15th century the church was reconstructed. It's an one-aisle church with polygonal sanctuary, angle buttresses and gothic windows. The church interior is richly decorated with frescoes from the 15th century and the artist is an unknown master from the circle of the so called "Šareni majstor". The bell tower is built in the form of "preslica", the front is decorated with stone reliefs and the famous stone head, built in during the renovation in 1441 that according to tradition represents Attila the Hun who allegedly was killed precisely in this part of west Istria from a shepherd who shot him in the head from a slingshot.
In the last phase of a very demanding renovation of the church of St. Mary lavish with fresco decorations the works of renovation and restoration of the sancutary vaults have been carried out and the new exterior woodwork made from the first class larch wood integrated according to the original one.
Church of St. Mary in Božje Polje