From the end of the 17th to the thirties of the 18th century (from 1712 mostly up to 1722) the Austrian military authorities were building a military garrison, following the example of Dutch lowland-fortifications. Various construction interventions and adaptations lasted until the middle of the 18th century. Due to shifts in political relationships and war strategies, from the end of the 18th century Tvrđa had lost its importance, so that certain parts were demolished in the period from 1923 to 1926. The first, so-called Charles bastion, the northeastern fort, is one of the two preserved segments. The Centre of Ancient Handicrafts has been established there.
The reconstruction and the construction improvement of the first bastion and the thick walls of Tvrđa have been carried out by applying the traditional methods and materials – the brick of the old masters' dimensions, in order to remodel the walls. The interior of the thick walls has been adapted and arranged to serve the specific needs of the Restoration Workshop and The Centre of Ancient Handicrafts.
Centre of Ancient Handicrafts