One of the earliest Gothic edifices in Slavonia, erected by the end of the 13th century, on the remains of a structure from the Roman period. At the beginning of the 14th century the vault and the walls were painted in fresco. At the beginning of the 16th century it was linked by Renaissance arcades to another church, constructed next to the northern wall in the 15th century. During the Ottoman reign it served as a mosque and a warehouse. After the liberation of Požega in 1698, it was thoroughly restored by the Jesuits. The church was thoroughly restored in the period from 1858 to 1871. In the year of 1898 it was renovated in the Neo-Gothic style. The works on the static stability securing by the injection of the foundations, the walls and the vaults, as well as by the installation of a micropilot and rod-shaped connectors, have been carried out. The exterior and interior design of the building has demanded, owing to its considerable monumental value, the execution of numerous delicate construction and artisan interventions, by means of which the walls and the vaults have been improved and decorated, the stone flooring and the massive wooden staircase and choir frame have been restored, and the conservation and the reconstruction of the crypt have been carried out.
St. Lawrence Church