The church of St. George in Mateško selo is probably the oldest church of the Ogulin region, it originates from the 12th century and is the only perserved sacral building that survived the Turkish devastations during the 15th, 16th and 17th century. It was the parish church from 1802 until 1892 when the new church of St. Michael in Mrežnički Brest was built and now it is the subsidiary chapel. This modest one-aisle church with a rectangular apse and a "preslica" from 18-19th century above the main entrance has the covers of the roman sarcophagi produced in the nearby stone-pits built in its foundations and their coffins were used to build the corners of the very same building.
In the may of 2006 a years-long reconstruction and the improvement of the chapel of St.George was finished. The project consisted of static improvement of the walls and foundations of the chapel, the reconstruction and replacement of the wooden roof frame and roof cover with Biber tile, the reconstruction of the lopica (porch covered with roof in front of the church), walls of the cinktor, the executionof the crypt and the renovation of the front and the stone flooring and at last the design of the environment.
Church of St. George